In her petition, Garcia disputed the prosecution’s claim that she has effectively admitted the validity of the charges against her when she entered “not guilty” pleas during her arraignment last March 22.
“It is elementary that a Motion to Quash is filed precisely to question the validity of the information,” Garcia’s lawyers said, referring to the motion they filed on May 21, 2013.
“The prosecution’s claim that Governor Garcia has admitted to the validity of the Informations is erroneous at best and at worst, a blatant misrepresentation,” they added.
Garcia, who won a congressional seat in Cebu in the recently concluded elections, was indicted on two counts of graft and one malversation charge in connection with the allegedly anomalous purchase of the 24.92-hectare Balili Estate for P98.93 million in 2008.
Garcia’s camp argued that the purpose of suspension has already been accomplished by her recently concluded six-month suspension.
“It simply makes no sense to suspend her at this time precisely because hse has already been prevented access to her Office that there is no other purpose for the Prosecution’s Motion to Suspend than to further embarrass and harass Governor Garcia. Such machinations are not only oppressive, they are cruel,” the defense said
The Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) suspended Garcia for six months last December for allegedly usurping the power of the vice governor and hiring consultants without the approval of the provincial council. — KBK, GMA News
- Gov’t seeks Gwen Garcia’s suspension for graft (rappler.com)
- ‘No stopping Gwen’s return to the Capitol’ (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- LP’s Davide beats Garcia for Cebu governor (rappler.com)
- After suspension, Gwen Garcia now congresswoman (rappler.com)
- Suspended Cebu Gov. Garcia proclaimed winner in congressional race (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- An Affordable International Shipping Service from USA to Cebu Introduced by Bluesea Shipping Lines (prweb.com)
- Another suspension order eyed for Gwen? (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- The Final Phase and the First Blood (danessanesses.wordpress.com)
- Tornado in Cebu City of Philippines destroys 50 houses (disaster-report.com)
- A film we can all be proud of (manilastandardtoday.com)